10.16.2007

Miracles





When a child comes into the world do we realize all that it takes to get them here alive, breathing, a beating heart and ten fingers and toes? It's a miracle, it's a miracle when they are born healthy and as beautiful as they are. An absolute miracle.

Thatcher was born 8 minutes past 12am, almost a Labor Day baby. He was so cute, my first bald baby. Shortly after he was born and fingers and toes were counted I heard a nurse say "Can someone else count his fingers? I keep getting eleven." Due to other circumstances I was losing consciousness but I heard that and as I went under I said "God knew that he had an extra digit that belonged to the Lyman's and sent it with Thatcher". I remember thinking oh I hope he looks "normal". It took about an hour to stabilize me and when I came to that was the first thing I asked, "Did someone say he has an extra thumb?"

Thatcher sucked his thumb in utero, we had around six ultrasounds and never once saw the extra thumb (and trust me I counted every time). His 3rd thumb had a blood blister when he was born from sucking it. Removing his thumb was like taking away his favorite blanket. It was strange a little piece of Thatcher was missing.

At five months old Thatcher had his first surgery. Thatcher has never been able to grip properly with that hand. There was also bone growing with his hand that needed to be removed. So a week before his 3rd birthday another surgery was done. 2 months in a cast (a total of four months out of 36) and he now has a beautiful hand that rests properly and to anyone else looks "normal".

A part of me is sad. Thatcher was different, unique, a part of him is gone. I feel displaced today, a little sad. And "normal" whats "normal" not the Lyman's that's for sure. I'm not sure I want to be "normal" that's what makes us who we are.


Another Miracle, I made it through the day. Four Dr. Appointments in one day with three rambunctious boys. What was I thinking? Well I was thinking lets get them out of the way and only drive into town once. Not smart. They were tired, hungry, needed to potty, bored, and they all fed off of each others positive attitudes. These are the days Prozac was invented for. First we saw Thatchers surgeon, all went well. Next off to physicals for all three. Don't they look cute in their gowns? It's public payback for their orneriness. The best part is that my appointment held up to the Lyman code "never be normal" Tyler has an extra nipple, Thatcher is less one rib on the right side and Talon, his issues are a little more serious and after some tests we will know if we should be more concerned. All in a days work. Tomorrow Im sleeping in.

9 comments:

tanya.... said...

Just me again. I think you deserve to sleep in all day! Hope all goes well and your kids are adorable!!

Autumn said...

I love your "unique" family! Your boys look so cute in their gowns...they are so gonna hate you for that later! :) p.s. are you and Jeremy 1st cousins or something? hahaha!

Shannon b said...

holy cow -- you do deserve some sleep! Hope the results/diagnosis you're waiting for comes back with good news.

Aundrea said...

Poor Thatcher, you took his best friend away and he had to switch thumbs! I still remember visiting you in the hospital after you had him and asked skeptically, "So EVERYTHING went okay, there were no problems?" and you said, "Wellll, he was born with an extra thumb." And I just thought, "typical Lymans!"

Jodi said...

You have an amazing family and I, for one, enjoy your 'unique'ness!

Marie said...

I hope everything ends up well. Actually sometimes when times are tough, I feel like "All is well." And it is - even is there are things to deal with...
It was fun to visit with you at Bunco last night! (Go Ducks!!!)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, what a day for you, and the boys!!! I hope everything turns out okay :)

Bonnie said...

This is the first time I've looked at your blog and I feel like I've missed so much!! I so now what it feels like once you think your child is "normal" and then your life is turned upside down again....I think that's why every Mom deserves a good 'resty' every now and then!! Good luck!!

Amber said...

I read this once, and was just skimming back over it. Did you say that Tyler has an extra nipple? Seriously?!