10.16.2008

REWIND

Wednesday October 8, 2008
I met with Legislator Kevin Mannix and six board members of SARC (a non-profit for sexual assault victims) Mannix had asked me to prepare a list of things I would like to see changed in the legal system as a survivor of rape and having gone through the legal process and a trial. He wanted to hear a victims perspective.

I opened up by stating that I new I was reaching for the stars wanting to change the things on my list. However, every single item on my list was discussed and validated and surprisingly only a few on my list seemed to be out of reach.

I was impressed by how much SARC does and how little funding they have and yet all that they do. I was overwhelmed by the passion, desire, strength and drive these people had to help. With their knowledge hopefully we can fight for proper funding to improve the many areas that need help; better sexual assault nurse training, Forensic lab delays, and many other resources.

I left the office elated! I haven't felt so much peace and hmm, I can't describe it, I felt completely...I guess just at peace within my soul. Healing. All of my anger and upset with the system (even though we won) and anger for the defense attorney and Daniel could all be focused on something positive. My anger was replaced by happiness, joy and excitement to have a part in change. I felt as though everything I'd been through has been for a better purpose. I couldn't and can't believe I have the opportunity to have my words, my thoughts placed in front of the Oregon Senate and Lobbied for. I can have a hand in some aggressive changes in how the Judicial System works towards criminals and victims.
I have needed to find a reason why this happened. I needed it to be for something good, what was I supposed to do with this tragedy, how could I be better and make good from something so horrible? This might be it!

24 comments:

Paige said...

Rochelle, I'm so proud of you. You have been able to take and ugly ugly thing and use it to enlighten others and give beautiful hope to millions of other people. You are an amazing woman!

Michelle said...

Good for you! That's so wonderful that you've been able to be heard!

Autumn said...

This is it for sure! I'm so proud of you...look how far you've come in such a short time! Love you!

Andrea said...

I like to believe that the things that we endure are meant to give us the strength and courage we need to help ourselves and other people. Keep up the good work!

Amber said...

They say that all things happen for a reason and the reason for you to have gone through such a horrible ordeal has sometimes been obscure, but at least you can know that by defying the odds you got a rapist in prison, and now you may even help to be instrumental in the change that can better bring hope and ease to many in the future.

Anonymous said...

You go girl....that's all I need to say ;)

Jodi said...

I'm so happy that this meeting was such a success and that you felt heard and inspired to continue to fight for change. You are a woman with GREAT strength and courage and you inpire all those around you!
Love you.

Natelli Johnston said...

that is awesome! as for your comment on my blog, how could I forget the one that made me feel so popular!

KerrieLeigh said...

You absolutely amaze me!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your triumph.

Amy Jones said...

I got goosebumps tonight reading your post. I'm so happy for you...for your success, and for your amazing attitude. Your strength and courage will definitely motivate change in the system...and you'll be helping so many other people! Good for you and congrats!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, Rochelle. You have faught so hard and have inspired and supported so many around you. This is HUGE, and I'm so glad that you have had the opportunity to be heard and to be a part of some very important changes. You're amazing.

Unknown said...

I have wondered where you have been you haven't posted for awhile. You are amazing!

Candy said...

Thank you for doing what so many others could not! You are amazing and I know your fight has strengthened me:) Thanks

Tiffiny said...

Way to go Rochelle. Thanks for standing up for women everywhere!

mizkylie said...

I am so proud of you!! What a great feeling to have, you have done so much and really are an amazing person! I look up to you!

Shannon b said...

that is so wonderful Rochelle that you had this opportunity! To have your voice heard, and to find your concerns & desires validated by the people who can make something happen. Way to go!

Katie said...

Another amazing accomplishment by an amazing woman!! I have been thinking about you a lot, and miss you even more. I also think, that you should write a book!!!... you have a way with words (your blog proves that :)) and the women that could be reached and helped would be incredible!! Love you

Arah Debra said...

Pretty amazing! I'm so glad it was such a success. Keep up the good fight.

Aundrea said...

You rock! I'm so proud of you!!

mizkylie said...

ROCHELLE, YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!! CHECK OUT MY BLOG

shannon p. said...

Way to go! That must be such a powerful and empowering feeling to know that you are able to be so influential in helping to make these big changes.

Nicole said...

What a high, to have your voice heard! I'm impressed by your desire to bring awareness and change. The work you are doing will effect many people for the better! Good job.

Lisa said...

Wow, that's amazing. Good for you!