2.17.2009

Operator, operator....

Automated operator for a random company and Rochelle trying to have a conversation,


AO: Thank you for calling. If you'd like English please say English for Spanish say Spanish.

R: English

AO: I'm sorry I was unable to hear your request. If you'd like English please say English for Spanish say Spanish.

R: ENGLISH

REPEAT

AO: How can I help you today? You can say anything, pay your bill or change service.

R: I'd like to speak to customer service.

AO: Okay, I can help you with that. You'd like to change your service? Is that correct? If that is correct say yes. If it's not correct say no.

R: NO

AO: I'm sorry let's try this again. You can say anything from pay your bill or change service.

R (very slow with proper pronunciation):I'D LIKE TO SPEAK TO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

AO: Great I can help you with that! You'd like to speak with customer service? Is that correct? If that is correct say yes. If it's not correct say no.

R: YES!

AO: I'm sorry let's try this again. You can say anything from pay your bill or change service.

R(I may possibly be yelling or talking in a very loud voice): Are you freakin serious? I said YES!! I just want to talk to someone! I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE! PREFERRABLY A HUMAN, H-U-M-A-N, YOU GOT ANY OF THOSE AROUND THERE? COME ON!

AO: I'm sorry, please hold while I try to connect you with someone who may be able to help you. Thank you.

R (thinking outloud): Thank you? Well you should be sorry. That was flipping painful! I said yes! SERIOUSLY!

AO: Thank you for holding, this call may be recorded for quality assurance.

R: (thinking outloud)Well someones going to have a lot of fun with that recording!

Human Operator: Hello, mine name is Laura, how may I help you?

R: Oh Laura! It's so good to hear your voice. Really quick before we start may I just ask a quick question?

HO: Sure

R: You know how sometimes our call is being recorded? Does that start with the AO back there or as of now? And who hears those?

And while I was so so grateful to be talking to Laura from India who was so sweet and helpful, I personally could not understand a word she said due to a language barrier. So all in all the call was finished and my question was answered I just never understood it.

14 comments:

Aundrea said...

So frustrating! I heard a trick a long time ago that is usually fail proof...just keep pressing "0" and they will eventually let you talk to a human:)

Paige said...

Oh, AMEN!! And I would be willing to bet money that that woman's name is not Laura. Just like the "Mike" I spoke to in India is as much a Mike as I am Rashid. Hopefully your issue got resolved -- even if you have no idea how. :)

Paige said...

Oh, and your blog is BEAUTIFUL. How did you do that???

Krista Lou Cook said...

I don't know how many times I hear those words. Every time it take all my strength not to yell and curse into the phone!

The Good Gomer Family said...

DRIVES YOU CRAZY doesn't it!!?? Happens to us too....why oh why can't you get through and then when you do it is always someone with broken English??!!?? Thanks for your awesome post about your experience! :)

Tresa said...

Ha Ha so funny!!

Lynn Boyle said...

hey there! press "0" takes you right to a human!!!it works most of the time. i am to impatient to play with a recorder.LOL! BTW, It was awesome seeing you yesterday! you did great, keep coming. i just wish i wasn't so sick. and now you can finally get Paige back in there.. hear that paige. anyway great seeing you and i'll see you soon:)

Anonymous said...

LOL...oh, Rochelle...I laughed so hard....the other day, I was trying to put in a prescription to Kaiser on their "talk machine", and right when I was supposed to give them some sort of response, my dog got in my face, so I said, "JAZZ...go lay DOWN". There was this long pause, and then a HUMAN comes on line and sounds like they are laughing...and they say, "can I get that number again?" I wanted to die....you know they save the good ones and play them at the Christmas party.

KerrieLeigh said...

This made me laugh so hard! I deal with this EVERYDAY! Most insurance companies have the automated systems now and it takes me 30 minutes to get to a real person. (I have to talk to them for work) It is so frustrating!

Michelle said...

You make me laugh! I always wonder how many recordings there are out there of me yelling at my kids to "be quiet, I'm on the phone!"

Autumn said...

LOL!! So funny! Since I have heard this exact same automated voice many times I'm assuming your were talking to Qwest? No?
And although I think the Indian people have lovely accents...they are just so darn hard to understand! It would be nice if you could say "I'd like to speak to an American please" .....thanks for the laugh!

shannon p. said...

Haven't we ALL been there! It always makes me laugh (In an I'm so frustrated I could scream sort of way) when I finally get a "live" person and they are just as bad as the AO - repeating the same questions over and over and really not able to help with anything!

Nicole said...

I always get someone from the Philipines and I can't understand a word they are saying either!!

Marie said...

I hate that! My kids are quite amused when I'm yelling at the recording asking for a human!