
Hello Family & Friends!
My condition has noticeably improved the past couple of weeks and so I want to share some thoughts and events with you.
Mary and I want to express our gratitude and love to all our family and friends who have offered prayers, visited, telephoned, sent cards and flowers or written kind words on my daughter Rochelle's blog site. All of these have strengthened us and encouraged us through this trying chapter in our lives.
I dare not mention names for fear of over looking someone. There have been so many who have supported Mary and I and we have felt your love, but I must mention a few.
My beautiful wife Mary stayed by my side through the first five weeks and has slept on a couch bed many nights to care for me and comfort me. I feel our love has grow stronger because of the accident and I love her more than ever and am so grateful for her.
My children, Quinn, Nell, Colin, Keenan, John, Rochelle, Robert, Lee, my grandchildren as well as members of our immediate and extended family on both sides, all came together to support and comfort us, which meant so much. For the first three weeks, I don't remember any conversations, but I remember hearing your voices. You all gave me strength to struggle to survive.
I would be remiss if I did not express my gratitude for my daughter Rochelle. She took the initiative to record my condition and progress on her blog site. She did this in spite of her own health problems she is currently facing. This not only provided a great service to those following my recovery, but also helped to get the word out to friends I have not seen for years. People from Maine to California have visited her blog site and I am so grateful to have so many friends. I am truly blessed.
Mary was in a quiet place in the hospital one day awaiting the outcome of the third surgery to clean my abdomen and reconnect my plumbing, when the chief surgeon approached her. He knelt down beside her and told her he had seen many things in the course of his career and my survival was nothing short of a miracle. I believe this is true and give praise to God for his love.
This Tuesday the external fixator will be removed from my pelvis. This will allow me to begin to learn how to transfer from a wheel chair to a chair or even better, the toilet! YEAH!! On September 3rd the cast on my left ankle comes off and I will be able to bear weight on my left leg. I am hoping to be strong enough to go home before my birthday.
I found an '07 Aprilia ETV1000 just like mine in Great Britain and it should arrive just after the first of the year. I can hardly wait for spring. NOT REALLY! My children said they will hold an intervention if I even think about getting another bike.
This accident was a real shock to me. Thankfully I don't remember any of it. It reminds me of a Monty Python skit where a man and woman are discussing some bad event that had occurred and the man says, ''Well no one expects a Spanish inquisition.'' I sure didn't.
I am so glad I made the decision to wear my riding gear. There are people here in rehab that banged their heads and will never be themselves again or are paraplegic. My accident could have been so much worse. Riding is great fun and I will miss it. Don't be in denial. You would be surprised to see how many people care about you. WEAR A HELMET!!
Love to all,
Craig





4 comments:
It is wonderful to hear from Craig! He looks great :)
I am so happy reading this post!! We love you Craig!!
Craig, you're looking great! You've been on my mind and in my prayers ever since I learned about your accident. I plan to come up sometime this week.
What a wonderful read. It was great talking with you today, too, Dad. We love you to no end!
Keenan and Nonie
Post a Comment